1. Contest Period: The Entry Period for the Random House Children's Books "Ham it Up Video Contest" (the "Contest") begins at 10:00:01 a.m. Eastern Time ("ET") on September 21, 2010 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. ET on November 3, 2010 (the "Entry Period"). The voting period starts at 10:00:01 a.m. ET on October 5, 2010 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. ET on November 3, 2010 (the "Voting Period"). Sponsor's computer is the official time keeping device for this Contest.
2. Eligibility: The Contest is open only to legal residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, who are 13 years of age or older as of date of entry. Employees of Random House Children's Books ("Sponsor"), Votigo, Inc., their respective parents, subsidiaries, divisions, affiliates, suppliers, distributors and advertising and promotional agencies and the immediate family members (spouses, parents, children, and siblings and their spouses) and household members of each, are not eligible to participate or win. Void where prohibited or restricted by law and subject to all federal, state and local laws.
3. How To Enter The Contest: During the Entry Period, you can enter the Contest at http://greeneggscontest.seussville.com ("Website") by registering and submitting an original video file or webcam video (30 seconds to 2 minutes in length) (the "Entry" or "Entry Materials") which references the characters, objects, dialogue, and/or story of Green Eggs And Ham. Quoting the book directly is not required. The person uploading the Entry will be deemed the entrant (the "Entrant"). By submitting an Entry, you attest that you have made all those depicted in the Entry aware that you are entering a video in the Contest and all depicted have agreed that you may submit such video. Each person appearing in your Entry must be 13 years of age or older (unless it is your child, who may be under 13 years of age). You must obtain signed release forms from each person (or you/parent/legal guardian of any minor under 18 years of age) appearing in your Entry. A Release Form is available on http://greeneggscontest.seussville.com/pdf/GreenEggs_ReleaseForm.pdf as a printable PDF file (requires free Adobe Reader software.) You may use the Sponsor provided Release Form or your own form of Release Form (as long as your own form of Release Form contains the same material terms as Sponsor's Release Form). You may be required, in Sponsor's sole discretion, to provide a copy of the signed Release Forms from each person appearing in your Entry to Sponsor upon request. By entering, you understand that your Entry in its entirety or portion thereof may (in Sponsor's sole discretion) be posted on the Website, television and/or other Sponsor-selected media. All Entries must be completed, submitted and received by 11:59:59 p.m. ET on November 3, 2010, to be eligible for voting and judging. Normal Internet access and usage charges imposed by Entrants' online service will apply.
4. Copyright: Entrants are granted a limited, non-exclusive, one-time use license to utilize text and images from the book Green Eggs and Ham solely for the purpose of entering this Contest. Entrants shall in no case receive any right or license to use such text or images except as used in the Entry Material submitted to Sponsor, and such Entry Material (including any copyrights) shall become the sole property of Sponsor.
5. Entry Requirements: In order to be entered into the Contest, Entrants must comply with registration instructions when submitting their Entry. The video must be in one of the following formats: AVI, MOV, WMV, MP4, MPEG, FLV, 3GP, and 3G2 and be under 100MB. The Entry may not contain obscene, lewd or inappropriate images or text including no nudity, acts of violence or acts that appear to cause harm or are illegal/dangerous, as determined in Sponsor's sole discretion. Any Entry Material or portion thereof that is, in the Sponsor's sole discretion, obscene, profane, lewd, defamatory, contains any third party materials (apart from text and images from Green Eggs and Ham, as described in Paragraph 4 above) (other than Random House Children's Books logos/product), or otherwise violates or infringes (or may infringe) any copyright (including music), trademark, logo, mark that identifies a brand or other proprietary right of any person living or deceased (including but not limited to rights of privacy or publicity or portrayal in a false light) or entity, or is otherwise objectionable, will not be considered and may disqualify the Entrant. Therefore, clothing worn or props/items used in the video should not contain any visible logos (other than Random House Children's Books logos), drawings, cartoons, phrases, trademarks or other third-party materials except as described in Paragraph 4 above. Entrants may not copy or otherwise plagiarize the Entry Material from any source except as described in Paragraph 4 above. Sponsor has the sole discretion to determine whether a video qualifies as an Entry. All Entries must be the sole, original work of the Entrants except as described in Paragraph 4 above. By submitting an Entry, Entrant hereby grants the Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, licensees, designees and legal representatives the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide digital and other rights to use, reproduce, edit, market, store, distribute, have distributed, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon, and promote the Entries or excerpts of Entries (as such may be edited and modified by the Sponsor in its discretion) for editorial, commercial, promotional and all other purposes (including posting on Sponsor-affiliated websites, Website, television and/or other Sponsor-selected media). In addition, Entrant hereby assigns to the Sponsor all rights, titles, and interests that he/she may be deemed to have in any reproduction, product, or derivative work using or incorporating the Entry. Entrant further agrees to waive any moral rights in the Entry. Automated, script, macro or robotic Entries submitted by individuals or organizations will be disqualified. If, in Sponsor's sole discretion, the Entry appears to have resulted in any injury or bodily harm, it will be rejected. Entries must be in keeping with Sponsor's image and may not be offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, nor can it defame or infringe the copyrights, publicity rights or privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's personal or proprietary rights. In such an event, will be disqualified from the Contest. Submitted Entries (or portions thereof) may be posted on the Website after they have been screened. Any Entry deemed inappropriate or unsuitable or in bad taste, in Sponsor's sole discretion will be disqualified and may be removed from the Website at any time. Any Entry not in compliance with the above and which does not meet the requirements of these Official Rules and those of the Website will be disqualified. Videos must be in keeping with Sponsor's image and may not be offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In such an event, the video will not be posted online and will be disqualified from the Contest. All Entries submitted become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. No information regarding Entries or judging, other than as otherwise set forth in the Official Rules will be disclosed.
6. Voting to determine eleven (11) Finalists: The public voting to determine eleven (11) Finalists will take place during the Voting Period (as outlined above), by accessing the Website, registering and following the voting instructions. Any votes received before 10:00:01 a.m. ET on October 5, 2010 or after 11:59:59 p.m. ET on November 3, 2010 will not be counted. Individuals may vote only one time per Entry, per day during the Voting Period. The use of robotic or automatic devices for voting is prohibited and Sponsor reserves the right to nullify all such votes and to disqualify from voting the responsible individual. . In the event of a tie during the Voting Period, tied Entries will be judged by the judges based solely on originality.
7. Judging to determine the Grand Prize Winner and First Prize Winners: The Finalists (as determined by Voting in Rule in Paragraph 6 above) will be judged on or about November 15, 2010 by a Sponsor-selected panel of judges based on the following criteria: Originality (25%), creativity (25%), number of votes during the Voting Period (25%), and relevance to the book (25%) to determine one (1) Grand Prize Winner. The remaining ten (10) finalists will be determined First Prize Winners. In the event of a tie during the Judging or after the Entrant's scores have been tabulated, tied Entries will be judged by the judges based solely on number of votes during the Voting Period.
8. Prizes and Approximate Retail Values ("ARV"): Grand Prize(1): The Grand Prize winner will receive $2,000 (awarded in the form of a check), a framed, hand-pulled, limited edition Green Eggs and Ham serigraph on paper authorized by the Dr. Seuss Estate, a Year's Supply of Ham from Ham I Am (limited to pork products only), a Flip UltraHD Camcorder, and a Dr. Seuss Library of books. ARV: $5,599. First Prizes (10): A framed Would You? Could You? In a Car? limited edition serigraph on paper authorized by the Dr. Seuss Estate, a $100 Sponsor-selected Grocery Gift Card, and a Dr. Seuss Library of books. ARV: $900 each. Gift card subject to certain restrictions and an expiration date may apply. Prizes will be awarded, provided a sufficient number of eligible Entries are received. Prizes are not transferable. Prizes and prize components may be substituted for any reason at the discretion of the Sponsor. Taxes, as applicable, related to all prizes including income taxes are the responsibility of the individual winner. All other expenses and costs not expressly listed above are the winners' sole responsibility. Limit one prize per person/address/email address.
9. General Rules: Potential Finalists will be notified initially by email and/or phone. Potential Finalists (or parent or legal guardian if Finalist is a minor in his/her state of residence) will then be required to print out, sign and return via mail an Affidavit of Eligibility, liability/publicity releases within ten (10) days of notification attempt or the prize will be forfeited and alternate winner may be determined. Return of prize or prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and alternate determination. No substitution or transfer of prize permitted except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor who reserves the right to substitute a prize (or portion of prize) of equal or greater value in the event the prize is unavailable. By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the judges. The Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software or telephone malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the user or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the Entries in the Contest or for any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in, accessing or downloading information in connection with the Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual that tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or Website; violates the Official Rules; or acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. If, for any reason, the Contest or online voting is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, then the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel the Contest or online voting and determine the Finalists from among all eligible Entries received prior to cancellation, based on the same criteria listed in Rule #5 above (excluding the number of votes if that portion is cancelled).
10. Release: You represent and warrant that: (i) all rights to the video belong to and are original to you, or you have written consent to use, and the video do not and shall not infringe on any copyright or any other third party right nor violate any applicable law or regulation, (ii) you have the right to grant any and all necessary rights and licenses provided herein, including without limitation, all necessary copyright and other related rights to the video, free and clear of all claims and encumbrances without violating the rights of any person or entity, including any right to privacy or publicity, (iii) you (and all those depicted in your video) hereby hold the Sponsor harmless from and against any third party claim arising from use of the video and you waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the video or to be compensated for any such uses. Participating in the Contest constitutes permission to the Sponsor and its agencies to use Entrants' names, biographical information, pictures/portraits, likenesses and/or voices, video, for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. By participating in the Contest, the Entrant agrees that Sponsor, its respective parent, subsidiaries, affiliated companies, agents, retailers, advertising and promotion agencies, and all of their respective shareholders, officers, directors, employees and assigns, members, representatives and agents, will have no liability whatsoever for, and will be held harmless by entrant for any liability for any bodily injury, loss or damages of any kind to persons, including death, and property, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from Entry creation, the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prize, if applicable or participation in the Contest or participation in any contest or related activity. You hereby represent and warrant that you have read these Official Rules and are fully familiar with its contents.
12. Governing Law, Jurisdiction and Venue: The Contest is conducted in English (which will be given its everyday ordinary meaning) and any and all disputes will be resolved in the appropriate courts in New York in the United States, exclusively, and subject to the laws of New York. Should there be any conflict between the laws of New York and any other laws, the conflict will be resolved in favor of the laws of New York in the United States.
13. Winners List: For the names of the winners, available after December 8, 2010, for a period of at least 30 days, visit http://greeneggscontest.seussville.com.
14. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Contest is Random House Children's Books, 1745 Broadway, New York, NY 10019.